Robert Vadra is the son in law of Sonia Gandhi ie the husband of Priyanka Gandhi. He married Priyanka Vadra on 18 February 1997. They have two children. He was born to Rajinder and Maureen Wadhera on 18 April 1969. Rajinder Vadra hails from Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh and Maureen was of Scottish origin.
With the coming to power of Congress in 2004, Robert Vadra entered into questionable deals with many corporates. By 2012 Robert Vadra who was a scrap dealer at time of marrying Priyanka, had become a billionaire with interests in aircraft chartering, realty, Special Economic Zones and luxury business hotels.
- 1 Marriage with Priyanka Gandhi
- 2 Deaths in family
- 3 Business empire
- 4 Scams by Robert Vadra
- 5 Land scams by Vadra
- 6 Overdraft from Public sector banks
- 7 Antique stores in Italy
- 8 Black money
- 9 Insulting India and Indians
- 10 Tyranny for Robert Vadra
- 11 Residency permit in Dubai
- 12 Analysis
- 13 See also
- 14 References
Marriage with Priyanka Gandhi
Robert Vadra first met Priyanka Gandhi when she was a minor of age 13. Its suspected that the relationship blossomed through their visits to common friend, the notorious businessman Ottrovio Quattrocchi. Rahul Gandhi was very apprehensive of this relationship and even asked Intelligence Bureau to make a dossier on Vadra.
They later married in 1997
Deaths in family
Robert Vadra's marriage to Priyanka Gandhi was much disliked by his father Rajinder Vadra. Other than Robert's foreign origin mother, others too had reservations over the relationship. By April 2009 many of Robert Vadra's close relatives who were against this marriage was dead under mysterious circumstances. No inquiries were made on the string of deaths and the cases were closed as suicides.
- His brother Richard Vadra was found dead in September 2003 at his Vasant Vihar residence
- His sister Michelle died in a car accident in 2001.
- His father Rajinder Vadra committed suicide on 2 April 2009 under suspicious circumstances. Rajinder Vadra in an interview was highly critical of his son Robert and said that after the wedding with Priyanka Vadra, he disowned his son.
- Skylight Hospitalities Private Ltd incorporated on 1 Nov, 2007
- Blue Breeze Trading Private Ltd incorporated on 1 Nov, 2007
- Skylight Reality Private Ltd incorporated on 16 Nov, 2007
- Real Earth Estates Private Ltd incorporated on 18 Feb, 2008
- North India IT Parks Pvt Ltd incorporated on 19 Jun, 2008
In short five companies were started within 8 months. Many of these companies blossomed under generous interest free, and unsecured loans given by DLF to Vadra for his help to DLF in Commonwealth games scam
- As on March 2009, Sky Light Hospitality had received unsecured loans amounting to Rs 25 crore from DLF Ltd.
- As on March 2010, only Rs 10 crore remained. It was unclear from the statement of accounts if the rest was paid back or written off.
- Sky Light Hospitality in turn loaned money to other Vadra-owned companies such as Blue Breeze Trading Pvt. Ltd, North India IT Parks Pvt. Ltd, Real Earth Estates Pvt. Ltd and Sky Light Realty Pvt. Ltd.
Also Sky Light Hospitality Pvt Ltd, a company wholly owned by Vadra and his mother Maureen Vadra, is a partner, along with DLF Hotel Holdings and others, in a partnership firm that owns the business hotel Hilton Garden Inn in the upscale South Delhi business district Saket. The hotel is located within the DLF Place mall, also known as DLF Courtyard.
Whats interesting is the fact that its the same loans without any collateral that landed Kanimozhi behind bars.
Scams by Robert Vadra
The best thing about Gandhi family is there is a scam to every member's credit and it runs into billions. Robert Vadra is no exception.
Commonwealth games scam
There are allegations by politicians that Vadra has links to Commonwealth games scam. DLF was a major contractor of the Commonwealth games held in India 2010. DLF secured contracts at an inflated rate and constructed sub standard infrastructure for the Games. The government of India and Delhi gave many questionable concessions to DLF arguably under influence of Robert Vadra who received many hundreds of crores as bribes disguised as loans from DLF
See 2G scam Subramanian Swamy has alleged that Vadra has 20% stake in Unitech, one of the telecom operators which benefited through the allocation of second generation mobile telephony spectrum by former union minister A Raja. The CBI is trying hard not to unearth any evidence that may spell trouble for Robert Vadra.
See IPL scam The son in law of Sonia Gandhi has lately been accused of having a proxy ownership in the IPL franchisee Kolkata Knight Riders. Shahrukh Khan is the visible face of the team, but it has a complicated ownership going to Mauritian shell companies.
Land scams by Vadra
Vadra scams as its known, involve Vadra purchasing land at cheap prices from dalits and farmers at throw away prices. The land is then acquired by government by paying huge premium to Vadra. Also after lands are acquired by Vadra government announces huge industrial projects in the area sending land prices a thousand times higher making Vadra mint billions. Huge fraud also takes place in all the dealings with officials intimidated and threatened by goons as well as Congress government at state as well as centre
Capturing of Dalit lands
Soon after congress government led by Chief Minister, Mr. Bhupinder Singh Hooda came into power in 2005 Vadra had started to keep eyes on this Hasanpur village located on bank of Yamuna river. He purchased the first piece of land on 03/03/2008 measuring 9 acre falling under Khasra number 122/8, 123/6 from Gurgoan based Mr. H.L. Pahwa son of Sher Singh Pahwa vide registration number 4781 for Rs 3,690,000/-
After this he acquired more than 66 acres of land initially allotted to members of Scheduled castes at subsidized rate in Village Hasanpur in his or his close confidents and his different companies names as follow:
- Amit Chowdry s/o Shekar Chowdry resident of K.C Mansion, Shakti Nagar, Jammu who purchased 6 acre land from H L Pahwa s/o Sher Singh Pahwa resident of DLF, Gurgaon vide registration number 1922 dated 18/08/2008 for Rs 625000/-
- Mrs. Varsha Mahajan w/o Vijay Mahajan resident of KC Mansion, Shakti Nagar, Jammu who purchased 12 acre land from Gurgaon based company Karniwal Intercontinental Estate Private Limited through its director, Mr.H L Pahwa vide two registration numbers 1921 & 1923 dated 18/08/2008 for Rs 1250000/-
- On 09/09/2008 Mr. Robert Vadra purchased 10 acre land from Jaswant Singh s/o Bihari s/o Chainsukh resident of Gurgaon vide registration number 2428 for Rupee 1,500,000/-
- Manoj Arora s/o R N Arora resident of F-28 sector 50, Noida, UP had purchased 17 acre land vide registration numbers 2751 dated 26/09/2008, 2844 dated 06/10/2008 and 2750 dated 26/09/2008 for total Rs 3095000/-
- On 17.12.2008 Mr. Vadra’s company Sky Light Hospitality Pvt. Ltd purchased 10 acre land from Mam Chand, son of Gian Chand, Hari Chand, son of Mahipal, ShishPal, Sohan Lal and Roshan, resident of village Agwaanpur vide registration number 3866 for rupees 20 lakh.
- Vadra purchased 10 acres land from Mam Chand, Gian Chand, Hari Chand, Mahipal, Sishpal, Sohan Lal and Roshan with vide Khasra number 144 vide registration number 3866 dated 17.12.2008 for rupees 2,000,000/-
- Village Hasanpur resident, Karam Chand son of Yad Ram sold his land falling in Khasra number 120/1, 122/1 to Sky Light Hospitality Pvt. Ltd Through its director Mr. Robert Vadra vide registration number 4155 dated 9.01.2009 for rupees 20 Lakh.
- The Vadra’s Company the Real Earth Estate Private Limited purchased Khasra number 116/1 of 10.8 acre land from Mrs. Radika Rai wife of Mr. B Rai Resident of Gurgaon in 2009, and same has been entered in revenue records on 19/06/2009 showing new owner name the company through Mr. Robert Vadra, the director with address 35, Lodhi Estate, New Delhi vide registration number 167 dated 20.04.2009 for rupees 20 Lakh.
- Further, Mrs. Sonia Gandhi’s Son-in-Law also purchased 7.5 acres land from Mam Chand, Gian Chand, Hari Chand, Mahipal, Sishpal, Sohan Lal and Roshan with vide Khasra number 144/1 duly entered in 2009 vide registration number dated 23.04.2009 for rupees 1,280,000/-
- Also Rishipal, son of Khem Chand has sold his land falling in Khasra number 121/9, 120/11, 121/12 to Real Earth Estate Private Limited in 2009 vide registration number 342 dated 5.05.2009 for rupees 1,920,000.
It to mention here that land now under Mr. Vadra and his different companies have been covered by a high wall which was onace allotted to Scheduled caste land less persons in village Hasanpur.
When persons belonging to Scheduled caste who were allotted subsidized land in 1981 were asked how they lost their land ownership in the village, most of them named local property dealers names, mainly Mahesh Naggar, brother of Congress leader Lalit Naggar, who had played crucial role in duping dalits land owners to sell their land to non-Scheduled Caste persons (As per land allotment letter only land could be sold to Scheduled Caste persons) by luring them financially because of backwardness of this village till Mr. Vadra purchased land.
The villagers say that once Mr. Vadra completed his land purchase exercise, development works and infrastructure investments were started by Haryana Government resulting in sudden price hike. The dalits had by then already sold their land to Mr. Vadra and his companies at throwaway prices.
In above mentioned cases of land purchases serial no 1, 2, 4 & 8 were purchased by Mr. Vadra from Non-Scheduled caste Landowners who had earlier purchased their land from Scheduled caste Landowners and after that they sold to Mr. Vadra and his proxies.
Haryana land scam
Following the abnormalities in the land row, senior IAS officer and the then Director General, Consolidation of Holdings – Haryana Ashok Khemka ordered to cancel about 3.531 acres of land holdings in Shikhopur village, Manesar, Gurgaon, by various companies associated with Vadra and its subsequent sale to DLF. Khemka was probing the mutation before leaving his charge of the office. The Congress government soon transferred him as the DG – Haryana Seed Development Corporation. Haryana IAS officer Ashok Khemka, who flagged alleged irregularities in Vadra land deals, submitted a 100-page report to the government. The report reveals that Vadra falsified documents and executed a series of sham transactions for 3.53 acres land in Shikohpur village of Gurgaon.February 2008. Skylight paid Rs. 7.5 crore for this plot, around 40 km from Delhi. The mutation of ownership was effected within 24 hours on February 13, though it normally takes upto six months. Vadra's company was granted change of land use (CLU) licence to use 2.7 acres of the agricultural plot for residential housing in just over a month on March 28, 2008.
Vadra resold the property to DLF Universal less than four months later, for Rs.58 crore. The only value Vadra's companies added to the land, Khemka says, was the CLU licence, which led to a six-fold increase in the value of the land. A letter of intent (LoI) for the CLU was issued to Skylight within 18 days of application and a month after the plot was purchased. The LoI order was approved by Chief Minister B.S. Hooda and communicated to Skylight with signatures of Chhatar Singh, one of Hooda's principal secretaries. Khemka in his explosive revelations claims that Vadra, pocketed a hefty premium on a commercial colony licence.Khemka had been shunted out after he cancelled a land deal mutation between Robert Vadra and real estate giant DLF. Khemka alleges that Haryana's Department of Town and Country Planning aided in making these 'sham transactions'.
Shameless Congress government in Haryana gave a clean chit to Vadra. Further to this The Prime Minister's Office in November, 2012 told Allahabad High Court that charges of irregularities in land deals against Sonia Gandhi's son-in-law were false, vexatious and based on hearsay.
Overdraft from Public sector banks
The public sector banks in India are known for their intuitive ways to avoid giving loans for agriculture and education. And they are known to drive farmers to suicide by recovering the loan in a harsh and cruel manner. But none of this is applicable to Robert Vadra. Many of Robert Vadra's companies are known to have received crores of rupees as over draft from public sector banks.
A whistle blower recently exposed Corporation bank illegally diverting crores of public deposit to Vadra firm Skylight Hospitality as overdraft. In one instance Vadra received an overdraft of 7.94 crore for his venture Sky Light Hospitality. It is said that many public sector banks Managing Directors indulge in such corrupt practices to secure their own interests as well as post retirement offers.
Antique stores in Italy
Robert Vadra allegedly operates an antique store in Italy and New Delhi. Since exempted from security checks, it is possible for him to take any Indian antiques through Indian airports virtually undetected. But no hard evidences has come to public domain in this regard and he enjoys the benefit of doubt.
Mr Vadra was in news on Oct 2011, this time related to blackmoney. An article in Economic times mentioneed that exports of copper articles more than quadrupled to Rs 36,700 crore. The big new buyer was China, not normally a buyer of brassware handicrafts. Opposition parties are suddenly interested in the matter since one of the bestknown exporters of brassware is Robert Vadra. And analysts say that over invoiced exports are the best way to bring in black money. In this case there were serious anomalies in global trends and exports from India.
Insulting India and Indians
After reports emerged of the corruption and scams masterminded by Vadra under generous help from DLF, Vadra called India a BANANA REPUBLIC and called Indians as MANGO PEOPLE.
The audacity to insult Indians on being exposed on corruption can only come due to his status as Son in Law of Sonia Gandhi.
Tyranny for Robert Vadra
The Congress government at center has given undue benefits to Robert Vadra whose only qualification is as Priyanka's husband. It includes transfer of officers who dares to stop Vadra flouting rules. Many unconstitutional benefits and patronage normally given to visiting heads of State and personalities like Dalai Lama are being bestowed on Vadra by the Congress government.
Transfer of Election Commission observer
In February 2012, Vadra campaigned in the run-up to the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections alongwith his wife Priyanka. His motorcycle cavalcade was stopped by an honest Election Commission officer Pawan Kumar Sen for flouting the rules. But within hours Pawan Kumar Sen, was transferred to Goa under pressure from Congress.
Transfer of IAS officer
An IAS officer Ashok Khemka who exposed and tried to terminate a fraud land deal by DLF and Vadra was abruptly transferred by Congress government in Haryana. He later backtracked under threat to his family and was gagged from speaking to media
Exemption from security checks
In India important entities on the warrant of precedence, like the Chiefs of Army, Navy and Air Force staff are exempted from frisking at airports. Exception is given to positions and not to persons by name. Robert Vadra even though not holding any post in government also has has been exempted from security checks at Indian airports. Robert Vadra, Son-in-law of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Vadra’s name was added to the list on September 28 2005 in a circular issued nationwide by the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) under the Ministry of Civil Aviation. He is the only one in the list to be mentioned by name.
Deputy Commissioner R D Gupta said: “We have no official reply. BCAS just took out the order as advised by the Ministry. Please talk to MCA Under Secretary L Haokip for clarification,” he said. L Haokip too refused to comment.
Residency permit in Dubai
It is said that Robert Vadra has secured a residency permit in Dubai. This is supposedly a precaution against change of government in India and investigations ordered into kickbacks received by Gandhi family.
India under years of Congress rule witnessed huge corruption by members of Gandhi family, with the loot assuming gigantic proportions under the UPA regime beginning 2004. The various resources of India is getting systematically looted under careful watch of an incompetent Prime minister with the proceeds shared with all those who matters in corporates as well as the media.